Skip to main content

hats off to the graduate

Hi!  Well, this is like a record these days, posting 3 days in a row!  Time to share my third and final entry for MFT's Superstar Card Design contest.

This card let me play around with MFT's Blueprints 30.  I wanted a different way to present gift cards which is why I purchased this set. 

The first thing I did was stencil on some stars using MFT's horizontal starry sky stencil.  Yup, I have both the horizontal and vertical stencils.  I like them a lot for creating night time sky lines but they're also great just to create a star pattern.  Then I cut out my first piece on the left above.  I also wanted to cut out a bottom layer exactly the same but I didn't want the opened flap part so I did partial die cuts on all the edges (cut, rotate, cut, rotate) until I got the piece on the right.

This set comes with a die that cuts the openings to hold a gift card.  The one on the left I didn't like because if you see closely you can see the imprint of the entire die.  So I redid the whole thing but on the right I did partial die cutting of just the rounded parts of the die to avoid getting that impression because I knew I wanted to stamp a sentiment on there.  Hope that makes sense.

I assembled all the pieces and placed the adorable elephant from Birdie Brown's Adorable Elephants stamp set onto the flap.  I love this set and this guy in particular is pretty versatile with his arm (leg) in the air like that.  He could be holding something or waving hello or throwing a grad cap in the air!  The dashed trail line is also in the elephant set.  The grad cap is from MFT's Graduation Accents die set. 

I also added the small piece of cardstock to hold the flap closed into the thin opening (all dies come conveniently in this set).  I scored it in 2 places so opening and closing would be easier.

When you open it, there's the gift card!  Sorry, I scribbled all over this one because that's how I know we already redeemed it. 

When you remove the gift card, you can see the sentiments from MFT's Happy Graduation which is fitting for the image on the front.  I like having this matching bottom layer where the sentiment is stamped so the gift card holder cuts don't show on the other side of the card when you open the card.  Hope that makes sense too.

Here's another view of the graduating elephant.  I'm glad I got to play around with this one cause I'll be using it for Christmas.  Such a fun way to gift a gift card!

Thanks for stopping by!


Comments

Lynn said…
You are a super clever crafter! I love the design of your card/gift card holder. I especially like that you have a message under the gift card. Oh, and the closure is marvelous. Thank you for sharing your brilliant ideas.
Leanne said…
Love this! I'm hopping to see the superstar entries that stood out for me. Your's was one of them.
Cheryl said…
Neat gift card holder! That sounded like a lot of die cutting

Popular posts from this blog

Snowman gift card holder

Hi!  I was planning to post this last night but I was just too tired to write or think of complete sentences.  It's been a busy week with the boys on Fall break and still trying to finish up a bunch of crafts.  I have been trying to make some crocheted crafts to put in my Etsy shop and finally I'm done with one.  It's a crocheted snowman that can hold a gift card or anything actually that is small enough to fit in the pouch.  The pattern is designed by ChiWei Ranck of One Dog Woof and can be found HERE . Here's the little snowman with his arms folded over in the front to look like he is hugging the card.  I added this fun card that I stamped.  You can definitely add in a gift card too behind this card. The gift card reaches under his nose. This is how the little opening of the pouch looks.  I hope I can make more of these little guys.  These would be so cute for teachers and I think it would be easy to put a little wire through the hat and then use it as

coffee cup shaped cards

Hi!  I think after this post I may need a little nap!  My right shoulder is actually feeling worn out from all the typing and photo editing I've been doing lately.  And this cooler weather is making me drowsy.  It's getting cold here already! I made a bunch of these coffee shaped cards using a die from Honey Bee Stamps .  It's a cute coffee set but the die is extra long so it would probably help to have a longer platform to diecut.  I just have the standard sized one so I would pass it through once in my Big Shot and then rotate the cardstock and die carefully to cut the other end.  Manageable but the longer platform would be more convenient! I embossed the front of the card with some pretty snowflakes.  I think this is a Sizzix embossing folder.  And then stamped the coffee sleeve with some Lawn Fawn stamps. This is the inside.  The gift card slot does not come with this coffee cup die set.  I cut that opening with one of the dies from MFT's gift card dies.

all occasion tags

Hello!  I have more tags to share today.  I kept these simple too to be used on most any occasion.  They have no sentiments on them. I used MFT's cute Birdie Brown Bitty Bears stamp set.  These were on my wish list for a while and I kept going back and forth about purchasing them especially because I wanted the dies to cut them out too and those were very expensive!  Geez, remember the old days when we used to fussy cut everything out by hand? This is the next 6 tags.  There's also a cute bear with a Santa hat that I didn't include in the photos.  This was a pretty quick project since I kept the bears white!  Not much coloring on these tags but they are still cute and colorful. I thought I was going to be doing more stamping but I've actually gone on to crochet more!  I've made 3 more crochet projects that I'll share soon.  Sometimes I do get the urge to color something but these days it's so much easier to pick up some yarn and my hook and crochet